United Way of Greater Los Angeles
CREATING TOMORROW’S LOS ANGELES
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is celebrating 100 years of helping our most vulnerable communities, working toward a future where every family has a home, every child gets a quality education, and every person can achieve success in our economy.
We believe that every person, every child, and every family should not only receive relief when they are in crisis, but have the opportunity needed to live their best lives. We cannot achieve that vision for a stronger Los Angeles without YOU. Together, we can break the cycle of generational poverty and change the future for our children and generations to come.
THE NEED IS STRONGER THAN EVER
While so much has changed in the years since our founding, the challenges we face continue to be very real. The pandemic has deepened and accelerated inequality in our communities, leaving thousands of individuals and families in need of basic services like housing, food, and a quality education.
Today in Los Angeles County, 69,000 neighbors are experiencing homelessness, 1.5 million neighbors are living in poverty, and 850,000 students are attending schools lacking adequate resources.
WHY CHOOSE UNITED WAY OF GREATER LOS ANGELES?
Every dollar you donate to United Way of Greater Los Angeles stays right here in our community. And thanks to a generous donor, all new and increased donations will be matched.
We bring people together to discover solutions and work on issues too big for any one organization or person to solve alone. We work to build committed partnerships, invest funds and resources, and advocate for policy changes that will equitably move individuals forward.
As we step from one century into the next, we are focused on:
- Crisis Relief
We bring together unlikely partners from every corner of our community to raise money and organize resources, so dollars go further, and relief happens faster for families in crisis. So far in 2022, we have provided:
- Rental assistance to 500+ families
- Utilities assistance to 16,000+ families
- Learning and technology support to 1,000+ students
- $2.5 million in aid to 53 organizations employing 1,500+ frontline workers serving our unhoused neighbors
- $700,000 for COVID-19 vaccines and testing incentive
- Creating Opportunity
We spark innovative programs that have widespread and lasting impact, supporting neighbors facing housing instability, educational inequality, and income and wealth gaps.
- Our Affordable Housing Initiative is financing 580+ units for housing insecure neighbors in communities from Chinatown to Boyle Heights to Wilmington to South LA.
- The Women’s Investment Network is helping 200 Black and Latina women receive financial coaching, build personal wealth, and increase investment in their communities.
- The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program ensures low-income families maximize returns, claiming $4.2 million in federal returns for 1,520 households this year alone.
- Mobilizing Community
We build coalitions to pursue just and equitable solutions for our unhoused neighbors, to give voice to student needs, and to push our local government to take actions that reflect our values.
- WalkUnited LA, our annual 5k run/walk to end poverty, has mobilized 125,000+ Angelenos and raised $9.5+ million to support housing, education and economic opportunities for all.
- Our Young Civic Leaders Program is fostering the next generation of community leaders by elevating student voices and civic engagement.
- Everyone In is 180,000 neighbors strong and working to educate the public and build political will for the solutions that work to end homelessness.
If you would like to support United Way of Greater L.A., attend an event, or pursue volunteer opportunities, visit UnitedWayLA.org. You can also support by sharing our content through corporate and personal social media accounts. Follow United Way of Greater Los Angeles at @launitedway and tag in your social posts. United, we can end poverty and homelessness in our community!