Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is a Charitable Agency/Fund Distribution Agency (FDA)?
A: A Charitable Agency or Fund Distribution Agency (FDA) is a non profit organization which collects and distributes funds to a number of individual charities, usually with a common theme.

Q: My favorite charity is not listed in the brochure. How can I give to them?
A: You can designate your gift to any non profit 501(c)(3) of your choice. Just fill out the Designation Section of the Payroll Giving Form.

Q: If I choose to give to an organization who is not listed are there fees involved?
A: Yes. The fee will depend on the organization you select to forward your gift. Please inquire with the FDA of your choice to see what their fee is for passing along your contribution to your desired organization.

Q: I don't remember how much and to whom I am giving through payroll deduction. How can I find out this information?
A: This information is printed on your paycheck stub and may be obtained from your City department.

Q: Is my contribution tax-deductible?
A: Contributions to non-profit agencies are tax-deductible by individuals who itemize. Payroll deductions are with post-tax dollars, so employees should claim their payroll deduction on their tax returns. You might want to consider requesting an acknowledgment of your gift. Please consult your tax accountant for further advice.

Q: I signed up for payroll deduction last year. Do I need to do anything?
A: Your payroll deduction will remain unchanged unless you fill out another Payroll Giving Form or contact the payroll department.

Q: I mailed/submitted a payroll authorization form, how long is the processing time? 
A: New payroll deduction sign-ups and any changes to existing payroll deductions will be processed approximately in June of the campaign year. 

Q: To whom do I make the check payable?
A: All checks should be made payable to “LAUSD-CCC”

Q: Does the City of LA Payroll Department deduct a processing fee every month?
A: The Controller's Office does not deduct a processing fee for any donations from payroll deductions.

Q: How does a donor obtain a receipt for a one-time donation (check or cash)?
A: The lead charity will send a general e-mail response acknowledging the donation. If the donation was made to a specific charity, an additional acknowledgment will come directly by said charity by the end of February after the campaign year.

Q: What is the minimum I can contribute for payroll deduction?
A: $2.50 per pay period per agency 

Q: Can I still donate to CHC: Creating Healthier Communities?  
A: Donations can be designated to any 501(c)(3) of your choice via pass-through donations. This can be done by filling out the Payroll Authorization Form, which can be found in the Digital Forms section. Fill out section two for payroll deduction and section three for one-time donations. Please note that there may be a fee depending on the selected FDA and/or the designated charity. For more information please contact the selected FDA directly.